Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Morris Christmas show


So I was watching Jon & Kate Plus 8 with Rewa, my sister-in-law, on Christmas vacation in Alabama. Rewa loves watching that show with all those little kids under one roof and she made the comment that it would be entertaining to watch a show on our family. It's not the first time I've gotten a comment like that, I guess we are a little entertaining to watch. Probably because of all of the dramatics at our house and the funny remarks that kids make, but really, everybody's kids are funny in a way, we're just a little louder and emotional. I told her that the millions of women out there would be outraged at my lackadaisical approach to housecleaning ("I should probably ask Felicity to pick her underwear off the bathroom floor when she gets home from school...") and parenting in general, as opposed to Kate's rigid adherence to hygiene. Whereas Kate's perfectly alright with showing quite a bit of skin; that's not okay with me. I guess we all have our issues that are important to us.

We agreed that they could have filmed our families during Christmas. Some of the things that would have made the cuts:

  • Interrupting our 670 mile drive for an emergency clothing change in a muddy ghetto WalMart in Shreveport, LA the day before Christmas Eve and then not finding each other for 45 min. Stopping again 3 minutes later because I forgot Mark's potato chips.
  • Kids thrilled at reuniting w/ cousins when we arrive at midnight and running around crazily until ONE am. Adults to follow an hour...or so...later
  • Shopping with our children + cousins on Christmas Eve (Mark took them at Toys R Us, I got them at the Galleria. How is that fair???)
  • Opening presents on Christmas morning and the sheer delight of the children
  • All the Obama paraphernalia
  • The many people who got walked-in-on (one bathroom- no lock on the door)
  • Mounds of southern food, especially the delectable German chocolate & Red Velvet cakes
  • Family pictures at JC Penneys' the Saturday afternoon after Christmas. Waiting a full HOUR before our photo shoot started and watching the ahem, MEN (except Mark) get extremely bugged and take off while the women pick over the pix and decide that none of them are real keepers but what the hey, we spent the time and the $, even got coordinating clothes, might as well get 'em anyway..
  • Retakes with Nana my new camera on the front lawn- more flustered subjects
  • Max & Kayla playing/maiming together as only babies do
  • Gingerbread house construction- and immediate destruction
  • Mark making goodies and then our caroling to deliver them to the neighbors. Oh and especially the kids' races to the door and ensuing arguments. Another highlight would be when we'd enter a smoke-filled home and the children would clap their hands over their mouths while I hissed, "Don't...say...anything!"
  • Packing our car with way too much stuff & saying goodbye to Mark's family

There were lots of other moments that would have appeared on TV too, like an argument between 2 certain adults on the way home from Christmas dinner, but thankfully our lives are NOT a TV documentary (or would that be a mockumentary?)

And now, for anyone who's still reading this... some pictures of some of the previous events:




12 comments:

Liesl said...

That was pretty dang funny. My favorite was with the smoke-filled places. When I was visiting you in Texas, I took Katrina to the bathroom in the mall when we went shopping. When we went inside the bathroom, Katrina declared, "It smells really bad in here!" And clamped her hand over her nose and didn't remove it until we had vacated the premises. Many of the women in the restroom were amused. Man, I love your family.

Haymonds said...

So cute. Isn't mayhem what the holidays/family togetherness is about? Glad y'all made it home in safety.

kurt said...

My dawgs are barking, I tell you wut!

Rose said...

So funny, I love reading your blog, it makes me miss you guys though. Also, I loved your Christmas card BTW when I opened it Josh was sitting next to me and told me that he wanted two brothers just like Max and Matthew at his house. I said, "Oh, you want a baby at our house?" "No I just want two brothers like that!" It was cute.

Alexis said...

I love the photo of Nana with her grandchildren- what a handsome grouping.

We miss your family and all the fun they bring with it. I think you would think we live a very quiet existence here if you could peak in. (That's just what it is to have only 2 children.)

Dawn Harvey said...

Well, I know someone who got a play by play on the argument on the way home from Christmas dinner, and I must say it was RIVETING. Max is getting so so big. I think those pics turned out great. Happy Birthday to Matthew on Sunday! RAYYY finally 4. But just remember, HE'S ONLY 4!

The Eberhardts said...

i absolutely love your posts. keep 'em coming. you are one nifty lady mamijo! and, so real. and you make me miss southern food and southern cooking!

Melanie said...

I think it would be great to have a show following your family. It would make it a lot easier to tell relay all the funny/cute stories about your kids to all the ladies at work. I could just find a particular clip on YouTube.

Fairbank Family said...

Sounds like a great Christmas full of fun and emotion:)

Pete said...

Why was the argument between certain adults in small font? Were we not supposed to notice it? Those are the most interesting parts of these reality documentaries.

Kent said...

Kate really bothers me. She's so condescending to her husband and always thinks she's right, no matter what.

I would be okay with my kids blurting out about their displeasure in a smoker's home. I have no qualms about telling smokers how much I hate them.

The Hall Family said...

Love the post!
Jon & Kate Plus 8 is our favorite show!