Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A First Haircut

Look how long it is when you comb it out and hold those curls!

In the black culture, there are a few customs about life that I was not aware of until I married Mark. For example, a man who does not live in the home should be the first one to walk through the door at the beginning of the New Year. One time, Mark took an hour-long trip through snow and ice to help out a member of our church in Jersey City who needed help with this tradition. Another one is to not cut a baby's hair before he is a year old. Since many black children have lots of hair, frequently the birthday celebration includes a haircut.

I didn't keep this rule very well with Matthew. It seems that I have a little bit of an itch for cutting when scissors are in my hand. Max, however, is much balder than Matthew was and his hair has not yet been cut. His 1st birthday is on Sunday, but we have no plans to cut his hair anytime soon.

However, Felicity, who turns 8 in March, had never had a haircut until today. She's had things cut out of her hair several times, but has not had even a trim of all of her hair at once. The ends have always seemed so healthy and I confess that with my short, wispy strands (and haircuts every 6-8 weeks), I enjoy vicariously having long thick curls through my daughters. Katrina took a pair of scissors to her head a year ago, although you wouldn't know it to look at her. In fact, it took me a day or two to notice.

Lately, it's been getting extra tricky to pick out Felicity's hair, which is a bitter irony since she is the tender-headed one of the lot. I offered to cut it some time ago, and she has been wanting me to do it. We kept her home for the inauguration today (hah! Only kidding, we were all sick) so I had some extra time and she reminded me. These were the results:

Putting half of it up since there's so much hair:

Bunny became the recipient of these new locks.
We cut off about 6-8 inches, but who can tell with those curls? Although she's not smiling, she was very happy with the haircut.

7 comments:

merathon said...

wow-- 8 years old before her first haircut? i thought it was crazy that berkeley will be four soon and still hasn't had a haircut, although her hair doesn't even come close to felicity's! felicity would be beautiful no matter how long her hair was so of course she's gorgeous! good job!

Liesl said...

The hair looks good. I'm proud of you. I never really noticed how beautiful Felicity's face is. She's going to be a knockout.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Ah, the long and luxurious curls are cut short! Well it still looks very cute and you did a good job. Happy Birthday to Max on Sundee!

P.S. I'm so glad you didn't cut bangs.

Dawn Harvey said...

Ok, I know that this totally shows my ignorance, but I didn't even KNOW that there was different hair stuff for the "African Americans". When you sent me to Wallie World to get that stuff for their hair, I was flabbergasted. She looks so cute though. It looks good and will be much easier to dill with! Love you JOSHMO phattie POE

kurt said...

Those are beautiful pictures of Felicity. She's really maturing. When in the realms...

Kent said...

You should've given her a mullet.

Alice H said...

I can't believe how lucky Felicity is not to have to get her hair cut all the time. If only I were that lucky...I'm way overdue for one and so currently live in the land of ponytails and headbands. She looks great!