Saturday, January 17, 2009

A new birthday suit



Matthew is a boy of privilege. Hardly a trust fund baby, but still, this kid has a good life. His cousin, an only son, very generously hands down all of his very nice clothing and shoes. The boys from the neighborhood are all older, so he gets more clothes and toys from them.

Since Christmas was just a couple of weeks ago and he has plenty of stuff, for his 4th birthday on January 11, we gave him a suit that he was pretty excited about. Since we came home from church and had guacamole, we needed to take some pictures before he ruined it forever.



Matthew requested a "pirate cake". Since I am no expert cake decorator, I was mystified about how to tackle the project, until Mark suggested making the cake the landscape and buying some pirates from the dollar store to put on top. All of us prefer chocolate frosting to plain, so we made a massive dirt island in the cake's small blue sea. I played pirates with him a few days later with the figurines and he kept wanting to find princesses and shoot them. I preferred finding treasure (smarties). I guess every pirate has his priorities.



Since it was his birthday weekend, Matthew got to pick the Fun Friday activity, and surprised us all by choosing bowling. I didn't know he even knew what that was. With the help of the bumper lanes, we got some decent scores. (I was afraid I would be like Lars and bowl a gutterball into another lane) We made it before the big timers rolled in and we all had a great time.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm glad you were able to organize those supplies. Happy Birthday Matthew! Kent and I really need to go bowling, it's been a long time...I'm jealous.

Dawn Harvey said...

Ok, so I was a little NERVOUS when I read the title A NEW BIRTHDAY SUIT! I thought that maybe you had had some work done (if you know whadda mean!) But it was soon clear that the pics were going to be of a VERY hansom boy resembling Mr. Darcy a little bit. Yea for Matthew.

Haymonds said...

Sounds like a blast. I can't imagine bowling with all those babies!! I guess you have to let them get older sometime....

Kent said...

I liked how Katrina was wearing her apron. I never found out if Matthew liked his Big Tex apron or if he shunned it? Mel wanted to put "Matthew" on the apron, but since I was the one who got it from Home Depot, I got to choose it.

Brian said...

That is not a bad cake. Not a bad cake at all. I especially like the row of four candles looking like a bunch o' torches staked on the island.

As usual, I call the middle piece.