Saturday, May 2, 2009

Ciao & Arrivederci

Mark changed jobs in February, and we are all thankful to have him home at night now. When he was consulting, he traveled every week and racked up lots and lots of frequent flyer miles and hotel points. Knowing that airlines and hotels change the benefit rules and go out of business all the time, we decided to use up our points and planned a vacation to Italy for the days that we are the same age. There was a layover in Spain, and we didn't want to waste it in the airport, so we spent a day there too.

We left on April 21, which happened to be "Free Cone Day" at Ben & Jerry's, which stand was located right across from our gate. I thought that was a great way to start off our trip. Because of Mark's FF status, Iberian upgraded us to first class while flying across the Atlantic and I worried things were going so well that we'd end up crashing into the ocean by a desert island with nothing but a volleyball for lunch/companionship. (I felt very guilty riding in first class so I didn't sleep a wink.) It was a clear, sunny day in Spain, a little chilly in the shadows but it warmed through the day. Neither Mark nor I speak Spanish but we found those who did were very friendly and happy to help.
In the gardens outside the Prado museum


Next we went to Italy, landing in Venice. We got to the city as the tourists were departing and the rainstorms were too. Great timing! A little chilly and a lot touristy, but we had fun exploring and Mark negotiated a good deal on a gondola ride since the poor gondoliers had little business that day in the rainy weather.


We met up with my siblings in Lucca and drove off to Pisa in the tiny clown car.

The drive through Tuscany was lovely. The roads were tricky to navigate, but I wasn't driving or reading the map. We had to get out several times to take pictures because it was so beautiful. This was the highlight of the trip for me, either that or the gondola ride. Yes, I'm holding an apple in that picture. We kept buying fruit at every opportunity and for some reason, I took the fruit on a walk.

We stopped at a walled city called San Gimignano. They had 22 of these towers at one point and apparently were very competitive in their construction.



A lovely view from where Tyler and I waited for those who deigned to spend $ on using the bathroom.

Next, we went to Florence, where the crowds were thick as it was the end of "Culture week," and it seemed that all of Europe was there on Spring Break, not to mention some rowdy Americans, too. On the plus side, all of the museums were free! We found a really good place off the tourist path that night and ate there. Best food of the trip. My travel companions were great and one of them (I'll let you guess who) really enjoyed talking about music, children, cooking, and home decorating with me. But we were nice to the boys and didn't bring up childbirth once, even though she's currently pregnant.


Mark, Bruce, and Michelle organizing themselves in the Campo


I'm looking very crabby that morning outside the Duomo & cool Baptistry doors. Don't worry, I'm always cheerful in the mornings, even while traveling

Church was conveniently held in the basement of our hotel on Sunday morning, because it was District Conference. We were hoping to attend an Italian branch meeting but this was not bad since there were interpreters and how long has it been since I've attended Stake Conf without children? Tyler served his mission there a year ago, so he got to see many people he knew. Afterwards one of the members asked him if I was his little sister and he clarified that I was "molto, MOLTO grande!!!" That's right, 10 years older actually. But I was complimented.

We went to Sienna that afternoon and had a great lunch at a cafe with enormous portions. The funniest moment of the trip was when Bruce stabbed the cake on a nearby table, right after the Americans eating there left, and sampled it (on the side they weren't eating off, of course). He agreed with them that it was too dry.

We then went to Rome and drove all over creation trying to find our hotel before Mark, Tyler and I jumped out and just took a bus to it. We saw the usual things there:


Bruce and Mark listening to the AudiGuide Tours in the Colesseum


Bruce throwing a coin backward into the Trevi Fountains, wishing to return...
(When did this become Bruce's blog?? He doesn't even read my blog!!)


At the Spanish Steps in the rain


And here were are at the last day in front of St. Peter's Cathedral, which is one heck of a humongous cathedral with Peter's tomb in the basement. What are the odds he's still down there? Anyone?

It was a great trip and a wonderful break from the diapers, dishes, delivering kids to actys, etc. I missed the children a lot and was really happy to see them upon returning and extremely grateful to my parents for taking such good care of them while we were away. And sure enough, Max learned to walk while we were gone. He didn't even remember who I was when I picked him up Thursday morning!

Wow, you deserve a prize if you actually read this whole post. Contact my husband and maybe you can convince him too (although first you'll have to explain to him that the blog post exists).
For any true gluttons for punishment, there are more pictures in this slide show thingy if you really want to look at them. Sorry to anyone else who suffered through it out of duty. No more trips for awhile- all the points are gone.

18 comments:

merathon said...

looks like you guys had a great time! i'm very jealous and i do hope to make it to italy one day too...

Flem said...

Wow that looks like great fun! I found it very interesting and I was kind of sad it was over at the end!

I am glad you guys had a good time and what it really made me wish is that we were neighbors so you could tell me a bunch of other stuff about Mark's jobs, etc.

Steve started reading my blog after he found out I was writing about him. Maybe that will work for Mark. By the way happy belated b-day to both of you!

Grant and Stacy said...

Happy Birthday! What an amazing trip! You guys deserved to have it go so perfectly. And to have most of it paid for, even better. I went to Rome when my parents picked me up from my mission. It was SO AMAZING! I loved seeing the pictures from that part of your trip especially.

Dawn Harvey said...

I just have to say that my heart just about pounded out of my chest as I read your post and looked at your pictures. Then I started feeling tears leaking out of my eyeballs. I'm so glad you went to Italy. Although the further South you go, the better ie: Sicilia MA...cosa posso dire? I LOVE your pictures and I did read and slobber over every single word. LOVE YOU!

runningmom said...

How Fun!!! It must have been amazing! I love that area. And you and Mark look so happy (okay, minus your one picture!!)

Happy Birthday to both of you!

Paula said...

Sounds like a fun trip!

gary_hansen@byu.edu said...

Thanks for all the pictures and commentary so that we could see what you saw.

MariLouise said...

Not only did I make it to the end, but I am even going to comment...on how pleased I am that you visited my two very favorite places--San Gimignano and Siena. Everybody's so busy enjoying Florence that they don't always take the day trips into the Tuscan countryside. Well done.

H. said...

What a wonderful trip!! I'm so glad you got away together.How long was your entire vacation? When we went to Ireland it about a week, and I think that's just about right when leaving the little ones at home. Aren't parents the BEST!! to let us get away once in awhile.

Rose said...

I loved looking at the pics and I like how your posts are so descriptive. It makes me miss you. Bill and I went to San Gimingano when we visited Italy way back in 2002 - it was my favorite spot by far. Kind of how you want to picture tuscany I thought. We'll miss you and Mark next week in HH, but there's always next time.

Kent said...

Ralph was wearing my shirt in Pisa. Also, my favorite picture was the battering ram one. I'd love to go to Italy one day, but it'll be a while.

Brian said...

Ha! Fatso's just like me: it's impossible for me to enjoy anything because I always feel so guilty while trying to do so.

That picture of you with the apple stolen from our tree looks like you guys were superimposed. And I don't get why you say you're like Dracula in the one.

Maren said...

What a fun trip! I'm jealous. I went to Italy a loooong time ago, and my girl friends that I was with and I all agreed that it would be so much more enjoyable with a significant other, especially Venice. Someday. Glad you had a great time! Happy Birthday!

Lauren said...

What an amazing trip. I am glad you guys had such a great time. I love all your pictures:)

The Yosts said...

What amazing pictures and the memories you made! Glad you had a good time.

Alexis said...

I'm relieved to know your full-term Max just learned to walk at 15 months old. I shouldn't worry about Evan, my content crawler.

(Yea, I read the whole post about Italy and THIS is what I have to comment on!)

Brian said...

So did you take out that Prop 8 comment? Or was it censored by the blogging police?

Kristie said...

I want MORE details. . . were Bruce and Michelle and Tyler with you the whole time, did you break up a bit. . . we'll have to talk in person. I loved your photos and writing. Thanks.