Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Uncow Bwian*

My little bachelor brother Brian had been bugged by me for long enough to come for a visit, so he purchased a plane ticket and came to visit us over Mother's Day weekend. He's not really a high-maintenance guy, so I didn't plan anything, since the Rangers weren't in town anyway. We went to Plano to visit the home of our youth (we were there 1980-1983):

He also helped me shop for a piano. I have been teaching piano lessons for several years on a digital piano. It has been faithful for several years, with many benefits, such as volume control and weight (Mark and I carried it up 3 flights of stairs to our apartment when we bought it). My children like the pre-recorded songs and other instrument voices options, too.

However, when we moved to Texas, it was damaged and I knew I would eventually want a new piano anyway. I've been saving my teaching $ for a long time, and when a liquidation sale happened the weekend Beelz came, I thought he'd be a good advisor, since he plays the piano well. As it turns out, he was, although not in the way a mathematician who adores stats would typically help- we both liked the way one played, and it was a good price. I typically sweat over such decisions for months, so I was grateful for his seal of approval, as well as the long-distance validation from the Kansas City pianists. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my choice.


He kept the giggly girls at bay while Mark ran around doing Mother's Day prep. Katrina and Felicity really enjoy UNO and he tried not to get too bugged by their silliness and slow strategies. Brian also helped clean and played with the boys, too. We went on a bike ride and he did better than I at not getting impatient with Matthew and Matthew's small bike, aka "Fast One".


We always love having visitors, especially ones who are so willing to dive in and participate. By "participate," I of course mean "work your tail off". Can you believe this guy is still single?!? So easygoing, so willing to be bossed, so complimentary of everything...

*When I student taught 1st grade in Manhattan, the students worked on books with invented spelling. One very cute little boy named Fernando insisted that the correct spelling for uncle is u-n-c-o-w. I had to admit, that's what it sounds like, especially with a NY accent or if one can't say r's.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Too many compliments. Thankfully, it was posted later so nobody'll read it.

The pleasure of the visit was all mine, and not one iota of it yours. HA! So there.