Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Older than the hills, but still loved

My eyes have been bothering me lately and I haven't been able to wear my contacts as much. I can't stand wearing glasses, because I just don't like anything on my head for very long. Not to mention I also feel very unattractive. (It's as though I've looked young my whole life and suddenly skip to looking ten years older than I am, not really a look I'm going for at the moment), So I went to an optical clinic owned by one of my piano student's dad last week to ask if they could look at my contacts to determine what could be done. The ladies at the front asked me, "How old are your contacts?'
"Ten years old"
They shook their heads in disbelief and stated, "We recommend replacing all contacts every year." (Well obviously! They are trying to make a living, after all!) They refused to continue the discussion, so I had to leave. I was a little taken aback, considering my ophthamologist told me (admittedly, 5 years ago), "Your contacts are in great shape, wear 'em until you lose 'em." Since he is a specialized MD giving the advice I like (to not spend more $), I want to listen to it. However, if my eyes hurt too badly to wear them, there's not a lot I can do about it, good advice or not.
I was lamenting to Mark about it, and he starting thinking about my contacts' age. He mused, "Ten years. Do you have anything that's ten years old that you use that often? Okay, besides your clock/radio/lamp that you got for your 12th birthday? I don't have anything. I almost have an LN [That's me. We just had our 9 year anniversary in Dec], but nothing else that helps me on a daily basis."

Just curious. What else is out there ten years old, that you use on a daily or near-daily basis? I'm sure there are things! Sure of it! My dad wears shoes he got on his mission back to Austria in the mid-60s. True, he doesn't wear them every day, and yes, we all mock him for them, but they keep his feet dry in the winter.

7 comments:

Flem said...

Hmm our mattress? We need a new one though.

Toaster
Microwave
Tons of other kitchen stuff
Garments (can I say that here?)

Steve would probably be using the same computer if I would let him.

He still wears his same birks. Oh wait he said he chucked those.

We also discussed the fact that we would if we didn't lose stuff--like two sets of scriptures, socks, etc.

Brian said...

Relax. If I had contacts, and if they didn't hurt me, I'd still be wearing 'em, no matter how old they were.

Felicity was in my dream last night. That's all I remember. I think Mad Max was there, too.

Kent said...

Besides my list of clothing, I don't know if there's any "thing" that I've had for that long and still use on a daily basis. I guess I don't wear any of those clothes on a daily basis, either. So, you got me. Ask me in 10 years.

Grant and Stacy said...

my scriptures, my large cd case-no, that's in storage because they're all on the Ipod now.

Maren said...

I didn't think of my scriptures until I read others' comments. (Although I promise I use them regularly.) I've had them since I was eight. Since we just had our ten year anniversary, all the stuff we got as wedding gifts is now ten years old. We still use the towels and the toaster oven. And a couple months after we got married I was complaining to Ernie how my hair dryer would overheat and I'd have to wait until it cooled down to finish drying my hair, and he asked how long I'd had it and why don't I get a new one? I thought about it and realized it was the same hair dryer my mom had given me in middle school, so about ten years old. So I got me a new one. Ten years ago. I still use it.

Paula said...

A few months ago I finally threw out the curling iron I got for high school graduation in 1986. It still worked but the lever part was missing the protective plastic. I remember feeling quite disappointed when I realized that all my wedding gifts were not going to last my whole life--but I still use some of those dishtowels I got 20 years ago.

Alexis said...

I was just wondering the other day if I could make the towels we received as wedding gifts last 2 more years- then THEY would be 10 years old- before I break down and get new ones. They're really not holding up well, but we have separate guest towels, so you all would never know the rags we're using upstairs!

Other 10 year old + things:
running clothes (NOT shoes)
my orange tupperware flour/sugar cannisters were my mothers (so ~20 + years)
most of our good furniture (kitchen table & chairs) came from my parents' home
My whole tree of christmas ornaments are from my childhood

But, really, JoEllen- these are your EYES we're talking about! Take care of them and get some new contacts, please! My contacts hurt me so much that I got LASIK- of course, that was before babies AND back in the day of 2 incomes. Still, I am still thankful everyday for that decision.