Tuesday, February 10, 2009

If it's a secret, why isn't she keeping it?

Last weekend, Felicity and I went clothes shopping. Alas, my little girl is growing up, and alas again, nobody is handing her down clothing anymore. She was really dragging her feet initially, but after awhile and some purchases, she thought it was fun. I think she liked it that I let her make some choices and even let her spend her own hard-earned cash to buy a silly hat that will probably never be worn.

As we left one store in search of another, Felicity looked around and asked, "What's Victoria's Secret?"
"A womens' underwear store."
"So is there a sign there that says 'No boys allowed!'?"
"Uh... no."
"But the boys know not to go in there, right? They don't ever go in that store? They don't see girls wearing underwear, right?"

It is always a tricky thing to give information to children without giving them too much. I'm trying to be honest with my children and paint a healthy picture of the world, good associations about things without making extra guilt or myths. I don't want them in a bubble, but it's called Need to Know for a reason. I don't always do the best job, but it's a work in process.

So I responded: "No.... sometimes boys like to see girls in underwear. And that's not good. EXCEPT, when?" I asked Felicity, seeing what she knows.
"-Except if they're a member of the Church of Jesus Christ?"
"No!" I hurriedly say, "definitely not that as the qualifier! It's -Except if he is married to the girl!"

7 comments:

Flem said...

Hilarious!!! Maybe she got that one from Mark because, well, for him, that would be technically true.

Grant and Stacy said...

Great story!

Liesl said...

I think my favorite is just the subject line. I love it.

Mel said...

OH that is so funny. Out of the mouth of babes.

Kent said...

I can't wait to make up all sorts of ridiculous explanations to my kid's questions, just so I can watch Mel try to explain the truth later.

Haymonds said...

Hahaha!! Um, isn't it always the green card, being a member? SO funny. And sticky!! Too young for the birds and bees, that one :).

Katie said...

that is absolutely such an awesome exchange, I hope you always remember it! Great mothering JoEllen, you are terrific!