Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentine mania

Decorating heart cookies. And no, I haven't gained weight, thanks for asking.


Katrina made this cookie for her beloved Miss Lawson

Valentine's Day construction has led my house to be messier than usual. Let's face it folks, it's not usually that sparkling to begin with, but Matthew has started a love affair with scissors, the paper cutter, and hole punch. With my older children, I was a lot more controlling with them, but Matthew hasn't done any major damage (so far) and it entertains him for hours. Besides, it helps his fine motor skills, and since the oldest has had some catch-up to do in that department, I guess the extra mess is worth making my kitchen resemble a confetti factory. Yesterday he made the "Ultimate hole": a snippet of paper punched with the 3-hole-punch, and trimmed to look like a tiny square doughnut. That's creativity.

Last night, Felicity and Katrina made their Valentine Boxes for the school parties today. Katrina was very proud of her box and kept bragging, "Wow, this is the most creative box in my class. It's soooo awesome. I did such a good job!"

Felicity's box this year is more abstract. She insisted that she didn't want any hearts or pink anywhere near it, and wanted to have a themed box instead. Since they've been studying weather in school, she initially wanted a weather box, but realized that would be copying a kid in the class and that is definitely not cool. So we made her box into a TV and she put an advertisement of "Felicity the Phatografer (her spelling) coming soon! Come to the studio!" It doesn't really inspire anyone with thoughts of Valentine's Day or love, but she was happy with it and that's what's important, I guess.

Matthew, meanwhile, was more concerned with the actual Valentines. His preschool class has their party today too, and he and Felicity are sharing Kung Fu Panda valentines, which come with tattoos! Is it just me, or is Kung Fu completely unrelated to Valentine's Day? I love you- let me show you with this kick! I'm sure all of them will be plenty sugared up this afternoon. Maybe we'll just have vegetables for dinner, although I'm sure they won't think it's very "Valentinesy".


What our table and bench beneath usually look like these days.

Finished products.

7 comments:

Liesl said...

I like Felicity's spelling of "photographer." For a second I thought she was using the expression "phat," as in "hip," which made me proud. And then I realized it and I was all sad. Well, not really.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Is it me or does Katrina make that totally cheesin' it face (as seen in your first pic) a lot? I used to do that face constantly for pictures as a kid. Oh and you can tell her that I thought her box was SOOOO awesome. But tell Felic that I thought her box was awesome too and very original. You have some imaginative children.

P.S. I was so proud of my preschoolers at the end of the year when they had all mastered using the scissors, so kudos to you for getting a head start with Matthew. It's a milestone in my book.

Brian said...

You forgot to mention Katrina blows her fist and says "MAN, I'm awesome!" also.

I can't believe you'd let your kid embarrass herself with incorrect spelling.

Have you gained weight? Are you finally living up to your name?

Lauren said...

Wow you went all out. I am glad Valentine's day is over. It is soo much work!! We had to make 60 cards this year.

BTW The victoria's secret story is HILARIOUS! I laughed out loud.

xo

Kent said...

I also appreciated the awesome card and truck I got in the mail Saturday. I was pretty impressed at the truck, the colors actually matched the pieces of the car. Your kids are officially craftaholics, for which we take all the credit.

Alexis said...

We LOVE our valentines card! Thank you for sharing your creativity with us! We love being (one of) your valentines, Morris family.

And I'm still laughing about the "Uhtimate Hoe"- a really great hole, truly.

Lorana said...

Your red kitchen exudes Valentine-ness, and the tablecloth just caps it all off. Kids make holidays WAY more fun.