Wednesday, February 4, 2009

First Birthday Celebration

Mark and I have been musing lately on how different our children would be if they were an only child, or the oldest child. The other night, Max had a marathon nap and so he was up for our date. We were having an at-home date, where we feed the kids early, put them in pjs, and let them watch a movie upstairs until it's time for them to go to bed. Meanwhile, we get take-out or do something easy and have the downstairs to ourselves. This week, Max woke up from the nap just as we were ready to eat. So he joined us and he was eating up all the attention from having both parents to himself. As #4, he is used to having a tag-team of parenting or even being lugged out of the crib by an older sibling standing on the rocking horse. It was really fun to have him tag along and have us all to himself.

Max is a happy baby, happy and content most of the time. (Being sick definitely put a damper on that for several weeks, however.) He has recently developed a little bit of separation anxiety and actually cries when I leave, kind of a compliment to me and annoying to the person he's left with. The other 3 have not done this, so I'm kind of embarrassed when someone asks to hold him and he's not going to have it. Max is our little puppy dog, carries things in his mouth and loves to lick you when he's feeling affectionate. He has been getting into the recycling cupboard lately and has a good time exploring the cupboards in general. I love to see him under the sink at work, like he's fixing it up or something. We sure could use a handyman in this house, although Mark and I both try our durndest.

These pictures are from his birthday party, starting with giving gifts in the morning and ending with the cake at night. Unfortunately, he was really sick on his birthday night, so he was so unhappy he hardly touched the cake.
Cups? For my birthday? This is the best you could do?


Now a ball, that's what I'm talkin about....


Yay! Bring on the french toast!

After church- on the new truck and pushing all the buttons.

What am I supposed to do with this dessert on fire? Touch it?

5 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Wow, I can't believe how old Max looks! His hair has really gotten curly since I last saw him and love the teethies! Happy Birthday Max!

Kent said...

He looks a lot like Treen-bean, I think. But he sure is cute.

You seem to write very affectionately about Max, and you do it often. Does that mean your other kids are despised? I'm just kidding, you would've probably written about them in the same way if you had a blog before they were toddlers.

Flem said...

I love the descriptor and photo for the cups pic. Hilarious!

He looks very expressive and like he already has a great sense of humor. Congrats.

Liesl said...

Man, Max is incredibly adorable. Holy mackerel.

Dawn Harvey said...

What a cutie in his little tie! Oh my goodness. How would it be if Felicity weren't your oldest. I really have a hard time imagining. Yes it would do well for someone in the Hansen line to get the FIX-IT gene, but then how would Phil ever feel special? The midnight Hansen calls are his personal fav!