Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Misconceptions


We went and bought a Christmas tree and decorated it a couple weekends back. Matthew wanted to know on Monday morning, "Why didn't Santa come?"



One of my friends from the neighborhood stopped by and recommended I buy decorations after Christmas. We've always had smallish artificial trees in apartment living, so now that we have a bigger space, our decorations to tend to get lost on the bigger tree. However, I sort of like the "less is more" approach with decorating- simpler. I would, however, like to find the rest of the ribbon and lights.

The children drew names out of a hat to see which sibling to whom they would be giving a Christmas present. Katrina drew Felicity. She promptly went to the tree, retrieved the present Grandma sent for Felicity, and handed it to her sister. She's so generous.

Funny how we automatically assume children are going to get all the traditions, customs, and procedures around Christmas, since it's a holiday they enjoy so much. Max seems to be enjoying himself, though.What, you don't eat your presents? What's wrong with you?


6 comments:

Flem said...

You are starting them drawing names at such a young age--that is a great idea! Then you require them to think about each other so early on. I think I am going to copy you!

Kent said...

Max is sooooo CUTE! I love his fat little fingers.

Liesl said...

I love the picture of you and Mark on your wedding day that's decorating the tree. And Max is absolutely adorable. Holy COW.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

I love Max's sweater...it's so cute. He's already Bill Cosby'ing it. Merry Monday Matthew! Ho ho ho!

jaime said...

i'm going with the majority here and saying that max is pretty dang cute.

Paula said...

Here's Talmage's great act of generosity: he bought a 10 cent pirate eye patch at the school Christmas store and was all set to wrap it up for Lincoln (age 12 and I'm guessing not really into pirate eye patches) when I told him he had to spend more than ten cents on his brother. He complained but then I told him how much fun it would be to go to the dollar store and pick out a bag of candy for his brother.