Monday, March 3, 2008

Nicknames

It's snowing outside- puts me a little in shock, since it's March and Texas and all the trees and daffodils are in bloom. I'm also sitting here waiting for the sheets to dry (spit-up upon and I-won't-tell-you-what-else sheets have to be laundered frequently), so I can take my tired self on to bed. So rather than folding clothes, I think I'll waste some more time here.

When we were dating, Mark introduced me to Ghetto Names. Just in case you go to one of those parties, you need a readily available ghetto name because Elizabeth Jane (Recently read Mayor of Casterbridge, sorry) just doesn't call up the back stairs so well. Try Tanjeniqua (Mark's Kindergarten girlfriend's name) instead.

Speaking of nicknames. For FHE last week, we were thinking about nicknames because Katrina has decided that she wants to go by Katie again. (Easier to write.) Since her name is Katrina Suzanne, we called her Katie Sue when she was first born, along with lots of other nicknames, some of them much sillier. The girls and I decided to try out everyone else's names with a similar formula- one or two syllables from the first name and one from the middle. Add changes for rhythm.

FeliJess -rhymes w/ religious; sounds like a talent of some sort.
MarkOr- Either an upcoming Crayola product or a sidekick to that ghastly He-Man foe with overactive salivary glands.
JoHan- Mine sounds a little masculine and like I'm trying to Germanize myself.
MatPat- also passes for hurried instructions on how to handle the baby (as opposed to picking up by the head)
Maxhen- this one sounds like a powerful boss. Come to think of it, he is pretty powerful and pretty bossy these days.

And just for fun, we gave Katrina a new one:
KatSu- Is it edible? Or martial arts?

There's the buzzer. Sheets are done.

3 comments:

Kent said...

Mel's been trying to pin a nickname on me ever since I started calling her Mellificent and Mellif. She's come up with hundreds...not one of them has stuck. I think Katsu was my favorite of the nicknames you suggested. Buggle is the best nickname you have already.

Paula said...

Hey JoEllen, Dallas weather got a mention today on our weather page for your unusual snowstorms.

Lauren said...

Elizabeth is getting tired of her long name - she sometimes asks to be called 'Ella' instead which hasn't caught on - maybe we will try a combination instead. Sounds like a fun family night - I am jealous Mark gets to be with you for fhe!