Monday, March 24, 2008

I said Funnier!!!!

9 years ago, before we were married, I told Mark, "You could be funnier." He thought that was not a very funny comment. Let me just say that he has a terrific sense of humor and makes me laugh frequently, but at the time, I just thought I could be laughing a little bit more. So over the years, he's reminded me of this remark and redirected it at me. (The nerve!)

So today, I told him that if I were, in fact, funnier than I am now, he would no longer be the funniest one in the relationship. Mark retorted that I have a long way to go before I approach his sense of funny. How could this possibly be true? Admittedly, the longer we're married, the more he makes me laugh. But still!

And uh, Mark, if you're reading this [which I'm sure you're not], I didn't really eat the rest of the carrot cake. I couldn't really eat half a cake in one afternoon, even after a day like this one was. Unless it were chocolate.

8 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

I remember you telling me that story when I first started dating Aaron because I didn't think he was super funny either. But it's so funny because as I got to know Aaron more, I started thinking he was funnier and funnier and his friends' wives were all getting sick of their 'funny' husbands' jokes.

Alexis said...

I think you're pretty funny, JoEllen- your blog is lots funnier than mine!

Paula said...

And I keep telling Scott that he really doesn't have to be funny as much as he thinks he does. But he says one of the reasons he liked me was because I laughed at all his jokes.

Lauren said...

What a clever story! I love that you guys are competitive about this. D. doesn't read our family blog very often either!

MamiJo said...

I've always been funny.

Pete said...

I think Mark is a lot funnier. JoEllen, you are too serious to rank high in funny.

Cheryl said...

Pete,
Do you know the same JoEllen I do? She is HILLARIOUS. A good sense of humor is a requirement for a mother of four married to a man who is constantly gone. If she didn't find the humor in things, she would go insane.

Pete said...

Hilariousness is really in the eye of the beholder. But really, I was just kidding about JoEllen being very serious and not funny. She is full of humor and good times. All the Hansens are quite enjoyable to be around, though they all have their own unique brands of humor.