Thursday, January 10, 2008

Anniversary 8.4

I finally figured out how to read comments and discovered that I have an audience. (how is it that I am so technologically un-savvy as a member of this generation? Can't text, can't add pictures to blogs without expletives, and my 2 year old can operate the CD player in the car better than I can!!) But I don't know how to respond. Who is the BOS?

My sister and cousin both remembered my anniversary back in December and now that I've read their rememberences, I should blog about it. Mark was in Kansas that day and December was a pretty stressful month, hence few posts because I knew they would all just be real downers.

So anyway, Mark and I celebrated our anniversary in several stages this year. He sent me roses and chocolates via my VT on the actual day and I talked to him that night on the phone while he fell asleep. We decided to celebrate in UT where we'd have free babysitting. The first night ended up being the BYU game. I'd had contractions all day and was exhausted, so I sent him off to watch the pore team w/ my dad and brothers, and was in bed by 9:30. We rescheduled for the next week, but then Kent and Dad turned a trip to Training Table to a huge party that I didn't want to miss. When you spend $1500 smackers traveling to UT to be with your family, it makes sense to attend family events... especially when Dad is treating.

So we went on Saturday night instead. I was super tired and grumpy but we went to Salt Lake to watch the Kilton's son in the play "Savior of the World" in the conference center. It was snowing, blowing, and cold. You know you're old geezer material or pregnant or both when you have zero desire to do anything but go home and sleep when the play lets out at 10 pm and the kids are in bed at Grandma's. Everything was closed, we still hadn't eaten, and my contractions were getting pretty bad due to lack of drinking. We finally found Mimi's cafe, ate dinner around 11 pm, went home and collapsed.

Mark gave me a traditional Disney (we went to Disney World for our honeymoon) thing and a necklace. Poor Mark, he's a real sentimentalist and I didn't even get him anything. So instead, after we got back to TX we went out for the "real" dinner. Mark loves good food and has been to some pretty cool places thanks to his job. He is into some stuff that's a little rich for my blood but I can handle it once in awhile.

This past Saturday, he got a babysitter (a major pain, for all of you out there without kids), played with and fed the children, worked really hard cleaning up our filthy house and hauling the Christmas tree off. When I climbed in the Crumbmobile and discovered that he had fixed the vacuum and attacked the mini-van, I realized, we are going wherever he dang well wants. So we went to Bob's.



This shot is actually from their menu. It only took me hours on end to put it here.

Bob's steak and chop place is kind of famous for Dallas. I've actually seen it advertised in those airline magazines. It's pretty pricey so he's only gone w/ work. Now don't get me wrong, although it's expensive, don't read this as snobby uppercrust type of place where you surely have never heard of at least one ingredient in the recipe card that they call the menu. Any place that has football on multiple screens in the dining room is hardly fancy in my book. People were of varying ages and demographics- hang on, just ethnicities, not socioeconomics. Why does everyone conclude that Dallas has cheap living just because the home prices are?

But I digress. It seems like the wrong time to go out to eat when the baby is taking up most of my stomach space. People have talked about how the last month is like the first trimester in both fatigue and nausea. This has not been my experience until #4, so I'm eating lots of small meals these days and didn't want to pick at my food at Bob's. I must say, it was pretty outstanding steak, and this coming from someone who eats meatless frequently. They kept bringing out hot bread which helped the acid before our dinner arrived. We got a crab cake and a salad and then split the cote de boeuf. I think it would have been enough food even for my regular non-gestational appetite. It was fun to go and I highly recommend it... especially on someone else's dime. I'm not completely into exotic foods you can't recognize most of the time, but it's definitely worth the $ for a good place every blue moon.

6 comments:

Pete said...

Quite an anniversary. Some technical points:

It is one of the settings on the blog that you can have all comments emailed to your inbox, so you don't have to constantly check the blog to see if there are any additions. I find this pretty handy, especially if people decide to comment on really old posts that I would never be checking for new comments.

To respond to comments, you can just post a comment yourself. It is an option that when you leave a comment, you can have all follow-up comments emailed to your email. So if I left a comment on Heidi's blog, then Kurt followed up with a comment (as he always does), then Kurt's comment would be emailed to me too. So by leaving a comment yourself on your own blog, people will get your response.

kurt said...

Follow up on Pete's comment:

Yeah, your comment was pretty informative. I actually didn't know you could trace comments about comments. You also sound exactly like your dad when you're in your 'tutoring' mode. Let me just add by saying: 2 blogs in 3 days! WOWZA! JoEllen, for the sake of the baby, take it easy. Too much blogging can't be good for Troy.

MamiJo said...

At first I thought you were commenting on my blog. Then I realized, Kurt's mission here is to torment Pete! How long has this been going on?

Pete said...

I should have figured that was Kurt. Has my dad done a lot of "tutoring" with you? Goodness knows I've been through my fair share.

Also, a footnote: you have to be logged into your google account to have the option to have follow-up comments sent to your google address. Since Kurt usually signs in anonymously, that's probably why he never saw the option.

craig.boolean said...

Happy birthday Matthew--yesterday!! All day yesterday I kept thinking that I needed to write a comment to wish Matthew a happy birthday, but, like most things, I didn't get around to it. So better late than never. I hope all he wanted for his birthday was a little brother because he will be getting one of those soon. We are so excited for you and can't wait to hear the exciting news!

Kent said...

This post is in direct contradiction with my "Low-brow" post. But I shall forgive you. I also want to thank you again for coming out for Christmas, I'm really glad Mel could meet you and your fam. She really got along with you well and even suggested going to Dallas when American was having a sale from Boston to Dallas! Too bad it's a bad time for us...we're hoping maybe in the summer? Who knows...