Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pondering my writing

I've always thought writing about writing seems a little surreal, kind of like lessons in RS about the Relief Society or mystery shows about mystery shows. You know, like a picture on the cover of a book with a person holding that very same book, and you can see that person and the book growing smaller and smaller...

Writing for me has been a good outlet; something I've felt a need to do, almost like a desire to make music, to exercise , or to talk. It's not quite the same as talking, because I can sort myself out and make sense to myself and to others in different (and usually less offensive) ways. It is also a way of recording events in my life, keeping track of what's happening with my own little family, and reporting to my extended family. There are four basic ways I write:
  • In my journal, which I do once or twice (supposed to be 4 times) a week
  • In a weekly email, which most of my siblings skim (if read at all), but I send it out to all "immediate" family members nevertheless to let them know what's going on in my life
  • In emails or chats: personal or quick notes to family or friends, things I can't put out there for the general public, but still need/want to communicate
  • On this blog, which hopefully will be made into a book for our family history one day
Lately, I've been a horrible writer when it comes to blogging. I have several reasons for this, but the main ones are:
  • I'm tired
  • I'm unmotivated to do anything these days
  • Everything I want to say seems to have a negative slant to it
Not to worry, I'm not depressed- just pregnant. But I'm getting to a better stage in my pregnancy when I have a little more energy and not quite as grumpy. However, I must apologize to any who are still out there who read this blog and wondering why I dropped off the end of the earth, only to pop up with absolutely ancient and stale posts of boring events. The recording family history events are actually the most tedious to me (and to you), but I do it for my children and also for the pictures, so loved ones can see pictures of my children growing up hundreds of miles away.

But I'm hoping to do better, and on this heavily snowing day when everything has been canceled, I'm officially caught up with the history. I can't promise funny, because that's not the kind of writer I am- if I happen to be funny, it's usually coincidental. But like it or not, I'm going to keep writing because it's an important part of my life.

10 comments:

Haymonds said...

As a sidebar, I love to read anyone's blogs. I am largely homebound because of my husband's strenuous schedule, my lack of a social circle, the snow and cold and my baby girl who DETESTS being in her car seat. Ever. So it's for you and your posterity, obviously, but it is also kind to allow your boring cousin the opportunity to indulge in sharing in your lives albeit vicariously in the extreme.....

MariLouise said...

Wow, congratulations, JoEllen! I had no idea you were expecting. And of course, it goes without saying that I highly enjoy reading your blog. You are a great writer and always have adorable subject matter. :)

Maren said...

I like your writing, keep it up! :-)

E B said...

I'm so happy for you! Congratulations. I love your writing too, and I am a huge fan of recording things for personal history. Write on!

Susie said...

I completely understand feeling compelled to write. It takes time, it takes energy, & it's rarely fabulous (at least mine isn't). But it's one of the best gifts we can give our family in the long run. Glad you're turning a corner in the pregnancy. It was fun to chat when I was in Texas!!

Kent said...

Everything I write is usually negative and complainy...does that mean I'm pregnant?

Flem said...

Negativity is okay as long it is funny.

So you are safe and keep on abloggin.

kurt said...

!!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE PREGNANT!!!!!!!!! HOLY COW!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!! MORE EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!

Brian said...

I read each and every word of your emails and blog posts, thank you very much, even if it takes me until Friday to do so, as in this case.

runningmom said...

Congratulations!!! (Last year my blog dropped off for the same reason...this year I don't have an excuse!)