Sunday, January 31, 2010

Maxwell Makes it to Two!

It may not seem like that is worthy of a headline, but our Max is such a daredevil that I am only grateful he he still safe and sound as of this writing. After his stealthy escaping from the house undetected in May and being scooped up in the street by a lady who stopped her SUV in front of him, I thought we'd always know what's going on with him and that I could magically protect him from all harm. Ha!

This past year, he has figured out how to break past childproofing: open cleaning and medicine bottles (and sample each), turn on the gas stove, climb to places I never imagined, flush all sorts of crazy things down the toilet, disposal, and sink, break appliances (like our relatively new dishwasher), and scale the roof over the driveway the day after Christmas. We've made modifications for his personality that it seems other parents don't have to make: he has a crib tent, and what relief it brings. We really try to be aware of him at all times, but he is quick, daring, and thinks of things in such a different way that it is hard to anticipate his next move. It has been a humbling lesson in parenting and helps to console me that I am really not in charge. I know that He whose child this truly belongs has been watching over him. And every day I express gratitude that Max has been safe.

This is really a quite unflattering picture of me (and my pantry) at 7 am on a school morning, but Max is an affectionate child and loves to sit on my lap when he can be persuaded to be still. I love it, most of the time. Here he is getting animal crackers as a birthday gift. In the green bag are the books he loves to read over and over again, so much that we needed new copies since the older editions were too well loved: Brown Bear Brown Bear, Goodnight Moon, The Bellybutton Book, and The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Not looking so thrilled with the big pack of blocks. But he loves them, he's just very up and down in the mornings. He loves playing with his blocks and a family member, as long as the family member does everything he wants. (Hey, he's 2.)

Max loves chocolate, and didn't burn himself on the candles this year!

He was eager to get started and dig in, as always. This boy will never starve to death. He has always been good at finding food (see intro, above) and helping himself. He can also boost himself up to the sink and drink out of a faucet, despite being rather short for his age.

"More ShaLocket cake, please." -Max is very mannerly (with the exception of his obvious lack of table manners), which we all appreciate, although I don't know why he's so good with the please-and-thank-yous and another child is not. In any case, it makes it hard to turn him down for anything, a detail of which he is probably well aware.

The day after his birthday, he went for his first x rays for his pinky finger, which was accidentally slammed in a door. (Nothing was broken, thanks for your concern.) I have no doubt of meeting our insurance deductible with this child. Life will always be exciting with Max.

4 comments:

Haymonds said...

Love it. Geez, I thought being pregnant keeping up with my one Creed was a chore!! You poor poor dear!! I wish I could come and give you a break for a couple of days. However, since I cannot, I will use all my willpower to send loving energy thoughts your way. Remember it is worth it. You will survive. And hopefully so will Max :). What a cutie!

Lorana said...

WOW. I would be interested to know what other "modifications" you've had to make. I think I mentioned before that Sara has a little of the same with her 3-year-old. He seems to have a thing for pool chemicals, which of course are all totally dangerous.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

We have that same froggy bowl, Will eats breakfast out of it like every day. I love telling tales of Max's daring to all my friends, leaving them in awe and pity of you.

Kent said...

MaxMax!

I'll be sure to keep his negative influence away from my perfect child.

(that was a joke, JoEllen, in case ya didn't know)