Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sports Shorts

With Mark's great sports background, you would think that our children would be much more athletic. However, he's not around all that much during the week and so they have to learn from me- not exactly recruit material. I'm somewhat aversive to playing sports, being uncoordinated and injury prone. Could it have anything to do with getting not one but TWO black eyes from two brothers' thrown bat and pop fly in the early 80s? We don't play a lot of ball around here. The girls are participating in city league soccer, and there is the occasional basketball game in the neighborhood. Their best opportunities are with relatives.
Felicity with her game face on. She's left handed, but we discovered she's better at batting right.

Whenever we stay at Bruchelle's, we end up playing baseball. They have a great backyard for it, and the evenings are really nice in Utah in the summertime. It's a terrific chance for my children to get more sports exposure. Bruce always pitches, and his boys are really good at hitting and jumping the fence to get the balls batted over.

Bruce pitches to Buggle while Thys and Matthew wait on deck and in the hole.

Katrina really improved her RBI this game, even in a skirt.

Max and Clyn fielding without gloves. I think Max has plenty of padding, but what about Clyn's piano future?

Bruce shoos Max from the mound. For never reading my blog, Bruce sure gets lots of exposure on it. What a waste!


Even Michelle and Mika are fielding, which is pretty amazing since Michelle is 8 months pregnant.

We came home and Matthew wanted to play baseball with Mark for alone time. Unfortunately, it was 105 degrees outside, but they still had a great time. Maybe there's hope yet for the M kids.

Happy Birthday, Kurt!

6 comments:

Liesl said...

Felicity has a fantastic game face. What form!

kurt said...

I'll take this as a sports post. On my birthday, no less. However, I'm confused about your statement about "Katrina improving her RBI". Don't you mean 'OPS'? I mean, it's fine if she didn't actually get a hit, but even when she got beaned by Bruce for crowding the plate, her OPS still rises.

And fielding without gloves is very important--for baseball and piano. It'll help when you're moving pianos.

JoEllen said...

I wrote RBI because there were several kids on base. Is that right?

By the way, I have never had piano moving in my training as a pianist. Nor do I teach it to my students.

Kent said...

You don't "Improve your RBI", you just get a quantitative number of RBIs. So you would say, "Katrina got a few RBIs in the game". You do, however, improve your Batting Average (BA), On Base Pct (OBP), Slugging Pct, or OPS (On Base Pct + Slugging Pct). And this ends the "Baseball Speak" lesson for the day.

Bruce Hansen said...

Ha! You see that I DO read your blog, and I have for years! Well, months. Or maybe weeks. Anyway, here I am, and I disagree that your blog has too many mentions of me in it. I'd say it's just about right. Actually, it could use a little more.

Brian said...

That is some kinda picture with the ball hovering right in front of Feel. I was impressed by your usage of "on deck" and "in the hole."