Thursday, September 10, 2009

Back to School


Matthew started school at the Spanish Schoolhouse this year. He just started on Tuesday, the day after Labor Day. It's a Spanish Immersion preschool program. It's just like other preschools, but everything is in Spanish. We loved the preschool that the girls went to, but decided to try this one out for a number of reasons. Unfortunately, his new teacher decided to take a job with the public school at the last minute, so he has a substitute right now. But I think she's great. I love how everybody speaks in Spanish there, to the parents and siblings too. Max now knows to say "Hola" and "Adios" to people there when we go to pick Matthew up.

"C'mon Mom let's GO!" (It's hard to take a picture while holding a wiggling toddler)
Matthew is enjoying school a lot and tries to speak in Spanish at home too. Today he told me, "I think Dora speaks Spanish too." Most of the children in the class are not native Spanish speakers, although some of them are, as is the teacher, so the kids are learning together.

And since I never got around to it, here are the girls on their first day of school two weeks ago:

Katrina runs straight into her classroom without so much as a goodbye to her family.

Felicity outside Mrs. Watson's classroom door. She was pretty nervous to start 3rd grade.


You have to take a picture of these girls when they're getting along so nicely (okay, we're working on it...)

6 comments:

Liesl said...

That's cool that Matthew's doing Spanish school. I wish I had the child's capacity to learn a language, because they process it so easily. Shame.

Maren said...

Creo que es maravilloso que Matthew tenga la oportunidad de asistir un programa de inmersion!!!

(Matthew can translate that for you if needed.)

And your girls are seriously gorgeous.

Flem said...

Oh yay! We are becoming less and less weirdo everyday with more of our friends joining the bilingual immersion ranks.

Your children are gorgeous. Are those your daughters? Why do they suddenly look so grown up? So, so cute.

Alice H said...

That really is cool. And really they only speak Spanish there? Matthew is amazing! That would stress me out so bad. I'm not a linguist. Maybe cause I didn't start young enough. I get stressed out just remembering my college language classes. Also the Choo and I are coming for Thanksgiving!!!!!

Kent said...

That's pretty cool he'll be learning Spanish, hopefully he doesn't lose it when he goes back to English school. Or are you going to keep him in Spanish schools?

H. said...

You're children are so gorgeous! I hope my kiddos can meet yours someday. I think they would really enjoy each other. And I KNOW they would enjoy that oreo cake. Got a recipe?