Friday, June 5, 2009

Perfect little boys

Whenever I complain about something one of our sons is doing that is driving me crazy, Mark tells me, "He's a perfect boy." We have two of them. This week, Matthew and Maxwell seem to be having a "most difficult child to handle" contest. Help me decide who is winning.

Yesterday, Max:

  • Whined endlessly
  • Screamed when I asked him to communicate using words/signs (like more, please, all done, etc- and I didn't ask him like that! I asked him, "Are you all done?" His response? "AUGGHHHH!")
  • Would not so much as let me fold laundry without holding him
  • Threw the food I tried to give him on the newly mopped floor
  • Flushed another shoe down the toilet
  • Threw temper tantrums when I wouldn't let him play in the disposal, garbage, or toilet
  • Went straight for the mud when we went outside
  • Clung to my legs while I cooked

Today, Matthew:

  • Poured dishwasher detergent powder all over the floor and then dragged it through the house
  • Locked Max in a room to torture him
  • Sprayed furniture polish all over the floor
  • When I put him in laundry room for Time Out for spraying the polish, he dumped the contents of the CCA donations box everywhere, as well as the dirty laundry, and mixed them together.
  • He then went upstairs to use his bathroom. He didn't want to see the contents of the toilet he'd just filled, so he threw lots and lots of TP in the bowl. What a surprise, it overflowed, with all the awful ingredients, all over relatively newly cleaned bathroom.
  • Since the shower curtain was marred in the incident above, I sent him to my shower to bathe. He decided to mix the shampoos and conditioners (including my b-day present conditioner) together in a giant concoction.
  • While I was showering, he took the furniture polish to the new piano and sprayed it inside the keys. Yeah, the same stuff he got in trouble for just an hour before.
My boys are normally not this extreme. This is kind of an exceptional week. Typically we have lots of good things juxtapostioned with the, uh, things that make them perfect little boys. In any case, they each have a lot going for them to win this this contest!

14 comments:

Grant and Stacy said...

So is this what I have to look forward to when I have 2 "perfect" little boys? Can't wait!

Cecily said...

I say Matthew, but only 'cause bigger boys can obviously do more permanent damage. I laughed out loud at the shoe flushing though. Your man doesn't happen to be out of town right now?

Kent said...

I vote for Big Tex, just because I like to antagonize him.

Liesl said...

I agree about Matthew. He's winning by a LONG shot, in my opinion, since his damage is definitely more permanent.

Haymonds said...

Ugh and Ugh. Blah. You sound like you need a Mommy Time Out. Next time Mark gets the chance, he can take the boys to have a Mud Fest in the yard and get all their "perfect little boy"ness out of their system. Outside. Where they can be hosed down. And less destructive. Sorry it's been so crappy! I've HEARD boys make more manageable teenagers. Perhaps that is only in contrast to their wild shenanigans of youth.....

Cheryl said...

I vote for Matthew as well. He and Brianna could do some serious damage together. Good thing they are seperate by a few states!
You deserve a nice big reward for keeping your cool. Have any chocolate left?
One day it will be funny.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

While it seems like Matthew has the bigger mischief list, I know all too well how obnoxious it is to listen to the incessant whining, tantrums, screaming, whathaveyou. I am only sorry that you had to deal with all of this this week. You really need a break!

kurt said...

Quit your whining. Your kids are great.

Alexis said...

Flushed ANOTHER shoe down the toilet? Your lists described events that had not even occurred to my imagination! Matthew seems to be winning this contest for now. You are a good mother to be able to laugh about this.

Mel said...

Oh my NUTS! How do you do it? Makes you want to sign them up for the zoo for at least, um maybe a year or two? Ah boys, you've got to love them--most of the time!

Lorana said...

Oh. You need to compare notes with Sara. Her two-year-old would be a contender in this contest. Maybe there's a common gene we can blame?

The Hall Family said...

I find this all so hard to believe! When I see them at church, they are PERFECT. The only thing that would make a person think that this is true is those little smiles that they give you...there IS something lurking in those minds of theirs! But they are SO DARN CUTE!!!

Unknown said...

Matthew by a landslide! He has more experience with consequences of such behavior. He "should" know better, but I agree with Bill Cosby, all kids have brain damage. Its the succession of events and time frame that swayed me to Matthew's side. I'm so sorry you're having one of those weeks. I am too, but with a little less collateral damage.

E B said...

Wow, Joellen! I think Matt wins. What's your email? I'd love to send you an invite to my blog.
Eva
evawbarker@yahoo.com