Thursday, October 9, 2008

Our pepper plant was disqualified from the Olympics




We counted 17 peppers growing on this thing today! Compared to a measly 1 on the other plant, this one is clearly on steroids. The garden this year has been very odd. The cucumbers and peppers are pretty much the only producers, although we had 2 rather measly bean harvests and more than enough basil. No survivors from squash or watermelon, and a pathetic showing from the tomatoes. There is a small green one on the Last of the Tomato Plants, but we'll see if the birds don't get it first. Today I found a half-eaten cucumber and I don't think it was the ants who were consuming. Wish we'd planted some lettuce to have farther into the winter months, but it's already October, so we'll just wait until February.

5 comments:

Pete said...

What was your plant disqualifed from?

Mel said...

Can you keep a garden year-round in Texas? Just wondering. Wish you were closer--I've got too many zucchini, squash, cucumbers and tomatoes than I know what to do with! Your desserts look divine--think I'd be a blimp if I lived anywhere near you! Love you Jo!

The Yosts said...

If only we could just start a garden. I only have a few things in pots. Your garden looks so good every time I've seen your backyard.

Rose said...

Gardens are fun. The kids love them and you never know how their going to turn out. Mine are usually weed infested and pretty neglected by the end of the season. My current garden consists of one basil plant in my window sil. Someday we'll have a yard . . .

Kent said...

This makes me itch for my first garden next year. I've seen people who've had tremendous success, I've seen people who have had none. It seems the number one problem is critters (birds, squirrels, deer, ants) eating the produce. I'll have to figure out a way to keep them out.