Friday, October 17, 2008

How did my foot get in my mouth when I didn't even open it?

Our house is directly behind the high school. This has many advantages (huge field to play in that we don't have to take care of, soccer practice for both girls is just outside the backyard gate, etc), but a few disadvantages as well (band/drumline practice at 7 am, loud Friday night football games). One disadvantage is that on occasion, kids have cut through our yard on the way to school. I have only seen it happen once, but who knows what goes on when I'm not around to look?

Wednesday morning found me looking oh-so-lovely in my holey pajamas, rumpled hair and glasses as Matthew and I were dragging out the recycling bins. I looked up when a young man called out "Good morning," as he walked directly toward my back gate. I gave him the hairy eyeball, saying in body language, "You've got some nerve!" He stopped and pointed to his shirt- "Atmos Energy!"

Whoops. Too full of humble pie to respond. Well, he'll get over it- that's happened to me so many times, when others have thought me much younger than I am. Like my sister visiting us from AZ, who was ID'd when buying spray paint (with Felicity, Katrina and Matthew in tow) because they weren't sure she was 18 (she's 24).

3 comments:

Kent said...

You don't want him back there anyway. He'll just send you a bill for having a messy backyard. Or using natural gas. Whichever.

The Hall Family said...

I can definitely relate! I get crayons and a kids menu at restaurants and all kinds of good stuff! I'M 18!!!! They get a nice sarcastic look from me too. My mom says i'll appreciate it when i'm older... we'll see.
~Jordan~

Bennett family said...

Great story! I liked the fire hazard one as well. Richard and I were laughing about it!