Friday, June 20, 2008

Packing With Children

If you have ever had to prepare for a long trip (or even a short one) with children, you know my pain.

Yesterday, we were readying for a 3 week trip. With 4 small children and many tasks before us, we set off to clean the atrocious toyroom. Even cleaning under the toy shelves and under the beds, we cleaned that sucker good.

I then approached the Exploding Desk, as we call the desk that holds the computer and oh-so-many-other-things. I call it the Exploding Desk because it always looks like it's just about to explode...or already has. It's been awhile since I have waded through the bills, school papers, coupons, kiddie art, junk mail, Christmas cards, and let's just stop there before I incriminate myself further. While I was tackling this enormous task, Felicity and Katrina were upstairs.... packing.

When I went upstairs to investigate, that toyroom was now in shambles. There were 5 kiddie backpacks and 3 grocery store bags crammed full of toys and stuff. I looked inside to see what they were packing and none of it was good! Oh you know, stuff like towels still damp from swimming lessons, markers to color completely the Grand Canyon, Felicity's homework binder, etc etc. Felicity was instructed to pare down her Fun Stuff to one bag and then the hallway was suddenly littered. So much that Matthew, bringing up the laundry basket full of his clothes for me to pack, tripped and ejected the clothes everywhere too.

Meanwhile, as I was searching for clothes through my children's drawers (shoved with dirty and clean clothes alike, and in no particular order), Katrina was being a snowflake fairy and littering the whole upstairs with lovely white kleenexes. No really, this girl is 5.

Maxwell was a big helper and slept through the whole thing. What a champ!

We had a late night and now it's a late start. But we'll get there.

8 comments:

jaime said...

oh boy. gotta love packing.

and men wonder why it's so hard to go on vacation with kids. maybe it's because men only pack for themselves. and it usually takes place a half an hour before they leave. (can you tell i am bitter about this subject?)

but have fun on your trip!

The Eberhardts said...

i have so been there. your descriptions just crack me up. i completely can visualize what was going on. ha, ha....

kurt said...

Have you guys left yet?

Kristie said...

What a great discription. I can Totally relate.

Kent said...

I laughed pretty hard at what Felic had packed. I remember I packed a full-size radio and all my cassette tapes for my math-nerd trip to DC.

Fairbank Family said...

Holy Cow! I am having anxiety just reading about your experience. You are such an amazing mom and so calm. I hope it all worked out and you are off on a fun and exciting trip...where??

Kendra said...

Enjoy your vacation away from the exploding desk and the playroom. Your neighbors miss you. Come back soon... :-)

Lauren said...

I hope you got everything done and you have a FABULOUS vacation!!

I can relate - this made me a little stressed out!!

xo