Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Oh, a Cowboy needs a Horse, Needs a horse, Needs a horse

Kindergarten is hard-core here, and many kids redshirt their first year, so preschool graduations are usually not Pomp and Circumstance. They do some other fun stuff though. Katrina's was a program all about Texas and involved 24 four and five year olds shouting "Deep in the Heart of Texas" and other such songs at the top of their lungs. It was sure cute though, and Katie Sue enjoyed it.



And this is Katrina's teacher Mrs. Bornstein, "Texafied" from New York. (Most Metroplex residents aren't from Texas. But they like it enough to stay forever.) Katrina really loved Mrs. B and yesterday was weeping about missing her. But we hear Miss Lawson is great, too.


Myself, I never went to preschool. My mother taught me at home. But I sure loved my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Knight, and so much that I came home on the very first day and said that I wanted to become a kindergarten teacher. Funny thing, that's what I actually studied in college, all those years later. There were some bad teachers along the way, but I think for the most part, I had good teachers in elementary school. I would say most of what I actually remember now comes from those years at Thomas and Orchard Elementary Schools.

3 comments:

Kent said...

Katrina graduating! I never thought I'd see the day, she was always floating in and out of school, picking up new jobs. She was such an at-risk youth. Probably because her Mom was such a clean freak and made her uncle clean the bathroom twice when they lived together.

Cheryl said...

Texas has hard-core everything. If you think Kindergarten is competetive, wait until the school sports begin. If Maxwell doesn't get a neck soon, he will be heavily recruited.
P.S. When are you coming to visit? I hope we can see you while you are here.

Melanie said...

Congratulations to Katrina! I think I had some sort of daycare/preschool thing I attended. My sister teaches preschool and I'm convinced it's for the best...for the kids and the mothers. And I LOVED Kindergarten. We had this wooden apple treehouse thing that you could climb into and read books in bean bag chairs, etc. It was awesome, and not intense at all, but we did have a graduation! Cardboard caps and all!