Monday, April 28, 2008

The Making of Buggle




On March 28, our Felicity turned 7. Anyone who knows Felicity knows that she is aptly named, at least when she's well rested and fed. You might argue that happiness is the natural result of being well rested and fed, but I know plenty of prime examples to the contrary. Felicity used to be even happier, but has given us a little more drama (if you can imagine such a thing) since starting school. I wonder where she gets it? One of my favorite quotes of the year is when Felicity came home from school and said, "Today we learned about being dramatic!"



Even with a well-fitting name, a new baby must have a nickname. If you don't believe me, check the owner's manual- page 14. And especially babies with 4-syllable names. We started by calling her Love Bug. We shortened that to Bug. In German, the diminutive form of anything has the -el sound at the end. Actually I didn't know that little factoid until afterwards, when Dad told me, but it works anyway: Bug became Buggle and somehow, it fits! The name Buggle is admittedly a little odd, but a suitable name nonetheless.


We didn't have a digital camera when she was born, but here are a few pictures of her:


Just outside the church, April 2005, Cambridge MA:


Dressing up as a pioneer, June '05, Nauvoo, IL:


Apple picking, Oct '05, Honeypot Farms, MA:



Flower girls, June '06 Birmingham Botanical Gardens, AL:

Shake mustaches, August '06, TX:


Felicity & Mrs. Hutton, Kindergarten Teacher, March '07:

7 comments:

Lauren said...

Happy 7th Birthday Felicity! Can you believe you have a 7 year old JoEllen?

Love the pictures - we miss that sweet girl!!

Cheryl said...

She's a keeper.
I miss getting to play with her at "preschool". I trust she is keeping her current teacher and classmates equally entertained.
Happy birthday Felicity!

Rose said...

The pictures are great - She definitely loves life! Happy b-day Felicity.

Kim said...

JoELLEN??!!! Hey it is me Kim J. from p-4 in provo. I am so find your blog. You have a BEAUTIFUL family. And, I see you are in FM. We are in Texas too! We are less than a half an hour apart. Let me give you my e-mail address. I would love to catch up with you. It is ryankimc@msn.com

Mindy said...

What a girl! I would have loved to hear Felicity describe what it means to be dramatic!

Kristie said...

I remember well meeting you at the Natural History Museum in NYC, days before she was born.

Then the way Maria loved her
so.

And I'll never forget the time the black lady at the zoo looked at Maria and Felicity in the double stroller and asked "What happened to her?" while pointing to Maria.

We love Felicity, and are grateful to claim her as family.

Haymonds said...

Hiya back! Where is FM? I'm not a texan, I am texas geography illiterate :). Anyway, I didn't know you just had a little boy!! How old is he now? Are you prego now? I wish sometimes we still had family reunions regular like so we could all catch up once in a while--but with so many and so spread out, I suppose it's not reasonable. Oh well. Fun to see you and yours!