Friday, May 23, 2008

What has been done to your hair???

Warning: extremely superficial subject

"Ok hon, what'll it be?" sez Tony, the Vietnamese haircutter who chops and shapes faster than lighting, and also owns 3 large salons named for him.
"I need a change. I think shorter."

And thus began my bad hair day, which has so far turned into 21 bad hair days. Not that Tony did a bad job, but I think it's more because I can't figure out what to do with the beast. My hair seems to have a mind of its own.

As if it weren't awful enough, losing fistfuls every time I shower or brush through it, since I'm in the shedding phase of post-pregnancy, I had to go and eliminate even more of the fine, thinning, wisps. (Bangs again? What was I thinking??) Hair is truly my achilles' heel of my appearance anyway, so it's always been the #1 thing I would change. I know for others it might be complexion, weight, nose, whatever, but for me it's been the baby soft haze on the top of my head, which clings to my face, refuses to grow longer than my shoulders, flips the wrong way, and has a slight and irregular wave which makes it not straight and not curly.

Even as a grade-schooler, I just tried to pretend it wasn't there, clip it into a barrette, or push it back with a plastic headband. I still remember when my brother Bruce was idly playing with one during family council and broke it, so I burst into tears, as this was the Last of the Plastic Headbands. He felt so bad about it that he contributed a generous portion of his masking-tape-ball collection to "repair" it. Of course it looked ridiculous, but the joke of it helped me get over the loss.

Being a low-maintenance girl, it's just plain annoying to have to do something with it that takes longer than 5 seconds after I get out of the shower. I'm willing to spend maybe 6 or 7 minutes on it if the result is good, but so far I have not been that lucky. Woe is me! Thankfully, it will eventually grow, and this subject will stop taking up valuable and quickly depleting brain space...

9 comments:

Pete said...

Seems like some pictures would really spice up this post.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

I agree with Pete. I also got my haircut yesterday...it is quite a change and I got bangs but overall I like it.

merathon said...

yep, sorry joellen-- you can't write a post like that without any pictures! we need to be able to tell you it's not as bad as you think it is!

Lauren said...

I always thought you had great hair - I am sure it looks better then you think!!

Melanie said...

Pictures! Seriously JoEllen, how can anyone truly comment on this without some photo documentation...I'm sure everyone could offer some suggestions if only we knew what we were dealing with...

Paula said...

Oh, JoEllen, I think you are completely fine in leaving off pictures. You really don't want anyone to look at the pictures and agree with you! Or be insincere (read: lie) in telling you it's not that bad. Of course, maybe it really isn't. But we'll just let our imaginations work and then when we finally see you, it will look great by comparison.

Kent said...

Your hair looks awful. You should shave it all off and start over. Your complexion is great, though!

Love,

Kent

PS I remember when you would always comment on the status of my zitty forehead when I was in jr. high. I hated you for that.

Cheryl said...

I am sure it looks beautiful. Your hair looks great all of the time. It could be worse. I am sporting the 'drowned rat' look. I haven't had a real hair cut in two years. So now it is long and . . . um . . . long. Post some photos so we can make you feel better.

Dawn Harvey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.