Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Days 3-12

So sad! Mother has left us and returned home to UT. We would not have survived without her. As you can see, Matthew is bowing his head into the trunk rather than let us see the tears in his eyes. (Katrina hides her grief well.)

Maxwell is proving to be a very patient child. How can you possibly know this from a 12-day old? Well, I'll tell ya: when Mom was here, she was astounded at all that Max's siblings did to "welcome" him into the family, without so much as a peep from the newcomer. And she knows babies.



For further proof:

When children #s 1-3 were hungry, they would yell. If you could translate their crying into words, they would be saying something like this:

"Hey! You with the food source! I'm hungry! Time to eat! NOW! NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!" (etc etc)

Whereas, Maxwell's tone is more like:

"Ahem. Excuse me, Mom? Not to trouble you, but if you get a minute, I'm awake again and I'd like some nourishment. But if you're busy, I'll try to gum off some fiber from the cotton pjs I'm wearing..."
But let there be no mistake: the boy is a barracuda when it comes to eating. He knows how to eat and is becoming a champ at chomping.

This is what I call his Pea Soup picture...
Peas Porridge Hot
Peas Porridge Cold
Peas Porridge In the Pot
9 days old!

He is having some tummy troubles, as all our babies do. But last night he slept well, which is why I'm still perky enough at 9:15 pm to be posting. It was nice to sleep for a few hours in a row... I'm still recovering from my own after-birth issues. Folks from the neighborhood and church have sure been good to us in the meantime.

7 comments:

Kent said...

Well, I'm glad you finally got that passive-aggressive child you've been wishing for. I just pray he doesn't turn into Matthew's slave or punching bag. I'll buy him a football helmet for Christmas.

kurt said...

do barracudas do that?

great blog, gelatin. one of the funniest i've ever read. mad max sure seems...happy. and peaceful. and slobberable.

as alice can attest, i'm still having severe tummy troubles.

Mindy said...

I can't wait to meet little Maxwell in person. The pictures are darling! Please call if there is ANYTHING I can do. Hopefully our yucky germs will be gone soon and I can have your kids over to play.

Alexis said...

I had to laugh about the gumming off the fibers from the pjs- Greta really gets intently working on the edge of the blanket she's swaddled in. And I cringed at the feeding descripiton of "barracuda"- it causes parts of my body to painfully identify!

The Yosts said...

Maxwell is so cute. You looked great at Enrichment too - you left before I got to say hello. Let me know if I can bring dinner over.

Liesl said...

Felicity looks a little freaky in that picture of her holding Maxwell. Looks like she wants to eat him.

kurt said...

hey, i need another blog entry! get to it! put maxwell down for two seconds, let matthew and the neighbor's dog torture him, and entertain me!