Sunday, November 15, 2009

Super Sevens

Our Bean recently had a birthday. She is now seven, which was my favorite age as a child. I don't really know why, maybe I was superstitious? I do remember really being excited to turn 11, because statistically I had the least chance of dying at that age (that's what happens when you combine a child's irrational fear with a mathematician father's response).

But anyway, about Katrina. She was very excited for her birthday. Bet you can't guess why there are army men on the table.



It's because her birthday is on Veteran's Day! So Felicity arranged them in a smiley face for her, mixing irony with mirth. Matthew and Max are opening something of their own, something very exciting (Sunday socks):



Katrina has been hinting toward a dollhouse for some time now. It was one of my favorite toys as a child, so I was excited that we gave one to her. It's the kind you put together, so she gets to pick out the decor. Unfortunately, it's turning out to be quite a bit of work as well, and consequently it is still not completed.



The day was lovely outside and by the time we returned home from her choice of restaurants- Texas Roadhouse (this is our "family party" year, where we skip the friend party and do something fun as a family instead), and by the time I finally finished her cake, it was past the boys' bedtime (so they missed it) and nearly mine. Can't believe I never took a picture of the inside of this cake. She requested a checkerboard cake, which was a rather complicated recipe involving beating 9 egg whites and gradually adding 1/3 cup sugar, then folding it into....blah blah blah. And it wasn't even very good. We had to eat it with tons of ice cream. She was thankful though, which is just like Katrina- extremely gracious. Also for the guacamole I made her, that's her favorite food. It has been for some time.

Happy Birthday Bean! We love you and look forward to many more years with your sweet and thoughtful self. Even when you no longer fit into your cute froggy pajamas you made at sewing camp last summer.

3 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Looks like a pretty fun dollhouse. I can't believe how grown up she already looks, she and felicity both. I'm glad they are loving (most of the time) sisters and buddies.

Melanie said...

God bless you for even buying that dollhouse. I feel tired just thinking of the work involved.

Brian said...

Checkerboard? I'm not seeing it.

She looks genuinely happy in that first picture, though, looking at the wrapped present in front of her.