Friday, November 20, 2009

Soccer girls

Another soccer season has come and gone. On one hand, I am excited for my girls to get some exercise, time with their friends, outside at that, and to learn a new skill. On the other hand, Saturday games seem to take up a whole lotta time, and weeknight games make life way too complicated, what with teaching piano lessons, making and serving and cleaning up dinner, bedtime for Bonzos, and Daddy invariably working late. But the first hand obviously overpowers the second in the arm wrestle, because we keep signing up for more seasons.

I really appreciate the time and efforts of the coaches, and am exceedingly grateful that Katrina's practices are in the field directly behind out house. Fire ants or not, it is much easier to send her out when it's time for practice and join her when we're ready or watch from the backyard, than to feed everyone early, pile all the kids in the car at dinnertime and "entertain them" (keep them out of trouble) at the field where her sister practices.

This season was rained out a lot- we had a surprisingly cool and wet fall. I actually was sad that so many of the games were canceled; I really wanted the girls to get a chance to play. It seemed like they were just getting it when the season ended. I guess that's why so many places in TX are year-round with their sports- they don't want players to lose any skills. Still, I like the break between seasons, even though it's only about 2 and 1/2 months.

Katrina throws it in as her teammate Gabby springs into action.

Action shot of Katrina, unfortunately pretty blurry, but at most games I was trying to keep track of Max or keep him (or his siblings) from throwing/kicking balls into other games.

Katrina is puzzled why that one didn't go in. She like playing forward as opposed to sweeper.

Felicity's game changed a lot this year, their field size nearly doubled and so did the number of players on the field. They also acquired the official goalie position and had the complicated offsides rule that I don't pretend to understand. Her games are on fields that are quite the hike from our house, so Mark and I had to tag-team those events.

Felicity running- Coach Dan said she's always eager to play, begging him to put her in.
Unfortunately, she doesn't always know what to do... but she's improving and she enjoys it. And that's the point of her playing at this time in her life. Their team had a "learning season" so here's hoping the next season is more of a "winning season"- this girl likes to win!

1 comment:

Kent said...

Man, this reminds me of all my days playing soccer and reffing and when I did a bit of coaching. I have a lot of fond memories of soccer and miss it. I'd like to be a coach once Hendrik gets to the right age.