Thursday, October 8, 2009

The things we do for lovies

This past week we had an incident with a missing lovie. Max has these little blanket/bear animal mutations that were given to him shortly after he was born, the likes of which we'd never owned before. I don't really know what to call them, and one of the Givers dubbed it a "lovie," so that's what we call them. One of them has large brown polka dots, which Matthew dubbed the "coconut lovie," and it disappeared a couple months ago on Laundry Day when I was trying to wash it (the nerve!). So although the silky lovie was less preferred, Max has been resigned to just clutching that one as thumb-sucking moments require. He is at an age when he's becoming more and more attached to it, and calls for it when he needs it: "Wuhvie! Wuhvie!"

Unfortunately, another laundry day came in which I needed to launder a lovie. With errands to run and children in and out of the house, sometimes the things that start in the laundry room do not end up in the laundry room. It's my die-hard habit after 6 and 1/2 years of going to laundromats or laundry rooms in apartment dwelling to do all of my laundry on one day, so after washing, drying, folding and sorting 7 loads each Monday, I get to bed on the late side. Max had gone to bed hours before, without a lovie, because no such lovie could be found. He went to sleep okay with some other distractions, but in the middle of the night (approx 3 am), I heard:

"Wuhvie! Wuhvie!" (sob sob sob)

Such a sound is heartbreaking to hear, so I got up and went downstairs to hunt, and to find a sippy cup for consolation in case my hunt was futile. I even wrenched open the back door and crept out into the damp, still, night to see if I could spot anything on the lawn, although the visibility was minimal and bugs maximal so that was short lived. Combing the laundry room for any signs, I finally spotted Coconut Lovie- behind the dryer, wedged between hoses and wires. I climbed up on the dryer to grab it, but ultimately had to get the grill tongs for the long reaching powers. Brushing off the dust, lint, and who knows what else, I was happy to have something for my baby. He was so grateful, my sore knees did not mind one bit.

And Mark snored through the entire event, so if someone ever creeps into the house at night, it will just have to be me and my Grill Tongs defending the family. But don't you worry- I've got lovies as backup.

5 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Funny story, I could totally see you doing that. I could also see myself doing that. I don't know what Will would do if he lost Froggie, and I don't know what we would do. I have slowly helped him to love a Pooh bear a little bit, but it does not compare to Froggie, that ratty and practically stuffing-less thing.

Maren said...

I love how you can tell such a great story. :)

None of my kids have had lovies. I don't know why. Christopher got a little attached to his blanket for a few days after he broke his leg, but even that got oj spilled on it and has been in the dirty laundry for about a week. I don't know how I lucked out in the lovie department.

Brian said...

Poor little guy. But a cute little guy. Thank goodness for Ma.

The Yosts said...

You make me laugh JoEllen. You have a great way of telling stories.

E B said...

Amen! You tell stories like only you can. We also have weekly laundered lovies around here, and it has to be when the kiddies are awake because they wouldn't dream of sleeping without!