Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I don't have a cell phone

Usually, I have to repeat that line, because this news is revolutionary. That's right folks, I don't have a cell phone. I used to have one, until one day I dropped it (after several previous drops) on its end and it smashed into several pieces. I was able to revive it for one last call to my sister on her birthday, but that was The Last Phone Call (ooo! Now doesn't that sound like an intriguing title for a future BYU/Easter film!), and ever since, I have been left wireless-less. So for all of you who are wondering why I haven't called you back, it's because I'm not getting the messages.

By now I'm sure you're wondering, Is this really worthy of a blog post? Well actually, this is not so much to talk about my lack of cell phone, but about how crazy of a concept this apparently is. Whenever someone gives me a number or asks me for mine and I tell them said fact, the reaction is: A-Pure Astonishment, 2-Pity, and D-Rapid backing away. Okay, okay, so maybe my cell phone fiend-friends aren't really ready to drop me like a hot potato (or in my case, like a cell phone) as soon as they discover that not only do I not have an iPhone/Blackberry/Supercool Trendy Expensive Object to access email, internet, and any number of other distractions on me at all times, I don't even have a free-with-2-years'-commitment flip phone with which to text or converse. (It turns out that actually I am commitment-averse, if you want to know the truth.) But they are definitely surprised and wonder just how I can function.

True, there have been some dashed inconvenient moments without a phone, like when I got stuck in a traffic jam on the way to Max's Pediatric GI appt or when I couldn't find my church buddies on the way to our RS Broadcast meat-fest. And I must admit, there's some sense of security to have a working phone when I'm driving with nearly no gas in the tank late at night in a TX rainstorm, with a weak battery to boot. However, it's also a little bit liberating. -Not that I was one to constantly be on the phone anyway, I have few friends that like to actually speak to me in person- they all seem to find that email, FB and voice mail are much more efficient. But it's actually nice to just do things the old fashioned way: talk to the person... later... when I'm at home and not in the company of other people who really don't need to hear my conversations.

Hey, I'm not trying to offend anyone. But have you noticed how much cell phones have permeated life? Has anyone else noticed that people check their phones constantly, mid-conversation? Sometimes they answer a phone call or text while you're chatting, and you get the feeling: "Hey, it doesn't matter who YOU are, this person contacting me is more important and whatever they have to say has GOT to be better than what you're droning on about." It's permeating everywhere- the menu of the restaurant Mark and I tried out last week had "No cell phones please" along the bottom, which seemed superfluous since it was a rather fine eating establishment. However, I saw more than one that evening despite the request. And in church situations, too...and I'm not just referring to Sunday meetings. Have you been visit taught by someone who is texting as you're talking?

I know it's a tricky balance, since many people (like Mark) use it for everything: alarm clock, notebook, phone and address book, etc. Don't get me wrong- They're great devices, and I'm confident that I will have one again before much longer. It's wonderful to have it when getting off a plane and trying to meet up with someone, getting directions in a new neighborhood, and when finding out specific ice cream requests. Or some validation or assistance, right when you're needing it. A cell phone is also great for sending a quick message when it's late at night or when there's no time to talk. However, we all managed to live full and productive lives, pre-cell era. Can't we just put it down for a few minutes- or hours? I really don't need to hear that you're getting email while I'm trying to sleep...

17 comments:

Pete said...

I agree - cell phones have gotten out of hand. I think it is a slap in the face to be having a conversation with someone and then they take a call and leave you mid-sentence. People use them too much.

However, another good place to have a phone is at an airport pickup.

Haymonds said...

Well put, lady. I find I just don't use it that much, except mostly to talk to my husband who is always at work and school. It's also a huge relief when trying to coordinate plans while hotfooting it wherever. Last time I destroyed a phone I picked up a cheapo one with our provider (att go phone from wally's world) for fifteen bucks. It doesn't have any special features, but it works as a phone and thus provides its necessary function. Without any fun bells and whistles, I use it lots less and forget I have it most of the time. I always tell people to call me at home since it's much easier to get that phone. Anyway, I agree that cell phones have taken over people's lives. Then again, so has electricity.....

MariLouise said...

"The Last Phone Call"...Laughed out loud. :)

Liesl said...

Wait, did you just say that YOU aren't one to be on the phone all the time? JOELLEN? I refuse to believe it. I haven't forgotten all the times you were on the phone, whether at home or when we went to Vancouver for vacation - you were practically born with a phone coming out of your ear; Mom said so herself. Heck, your piece on the family quilt is a PHONE. Face it, JoEllen. It's your destiny.

Maren said...

Great commentary. I don't have a home phone, only a cell phone (I usually have to repeat that one, too), but I often leave it at home since they passed the hands-free law. That used to be the only time I had two seconds of peace to use the phone when everyone was buckled in their carseats. Now I just don't talk much on the phone anymore. I agree--liberating.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

I have to say that I don't think I can ever go back to not having a cell phone. It seems like those times when I need a phone the most are when I seem to forget it at home. But I think there should be no cell phone usage while driving and definitely don't answer or text when you are talking to someone. The YW in my ward all seem to have cell phones and are constantly texting at activities so I think we might have to ban them...

E B said...

We should all teach 'cell phone courtesy' classes so people aren't so rude, disrepectful and irreverent! Good call (jk) Joellen.

Cecily said...

My cell phone is just that - a phone. Texting has been disabled, and I wouldn't know how to open/use the browser even if I wanted to. I'm not under contract - in fact, I'm prepaid. That means I spend less than $20 a month on airtime. Maybe someday I'll want/need more in a handheld device, but I sure hope not.

Alexis said...

Just so you know- Derek took a call from Mark on D's cell phone last night... while we were carving pumpkins at a friend's house! I can tell you that later, in a discussion at home about cell phone usage, Derek freely admitted that Mark WAS more important than anything that was going on right in front of him at the time he called! (And just so Mark knows, my phone was at home with our babysitter (since we have no home phone), so that's why I didn't answer.)

Lorana said...

I was in YW for more than three years and it was VERY educational. Before then, I had NO idea how big the cell phone thing had gotten. We had to start collecting the phones before Sunday lessons. You would not believe how scandalous that seemed to some of the girls. WHAT?!?! Be unreachable for FORTY MINUTES?!?!? Years ago, our Bishop had a pager and would sometimes need to leave Sacrament meeting. He was A DOCTOR. He needed to be reached. When did everyone else get to be so important that they are on call 24 hours a day?

My cell phone is amusing to the young women. It's several years old, does not have a color screen, and even has an extendable antenna! But it's nice and small, makes calls, and can text, not that I text much, but I can see how useful that will be when the kids get older. We pay about $5 a month. I don't know when I'll need lots of minutes enough to want to pay $50 a month. :P Why is it so expensive?

Sheralie said...

Amen. I had one for a few months in law school and realized I was on the phone at the park with my kids and it made me so upset at myself! I didn't have one in the US and loved it. Unfortunately, here texting is usually the only way to contact most people so I have had to do it and I still hate it :) Way to be strong.

Joyful said...

Luddite

Flem said...

Steve doesn't have a cell phone either. Oh wait, he does, but he never has it on him when I actually need him. He is going to disagree if he reads this, but having a phone with a dead battery with you doesn't count.

I see your point. It has increased my productivity level and decreased my focus--at first. You have to train yourself but once you do that, I think it is unbearable to think of going back to the days of being late without notification, getting lost with no hope, and using hours of driving time to actually get work done so that when I get home I can have a few extra minutos with kids.

If I didn't need it for work I don't know that I would have one either.

Paula said...

Wow--I didn't know that phone call to me was so momentous but I truly did enjoy it! I like having a cell phone when I'm at the store and need to know something so I call home. I really only use it to communicate with family members and since we just have a prepaid plan I don't feel obligated to use minutes. I don't like it when I need it but the battery is dead. But you can tell I'm old because I don't even know how to text or use the majority of the features on my phone.

The Eberhardts said...

i laugh out loud every time i read your blog. thank you. i just love your sense of humor. keep those barbs coming...

kurt said...

Just get out of the 14th century already and get a new phone, dang it. I'll give you my old World War I replica if you want.

H. said...

I think that is so true. We finally caved last fall and got our "free with 2/yr commitment phone". And if survives the foray it had into the toilet yesterday, we'll continue to use it. But I remember seeing a high school couple out for fancy prom night dinner, and they each had their phones out and were talking to other people. There's also an interesting photo in the recent conference Ensign (I LOVE the conf. Ensign photos), but it's a group of people outside the conference center and so many of them are talking on cell phones. I was trying to imagine what they need to be talking about right then. Anyway, good for you to bunk tradition!