Friday, November 7, 2008

Sweet Tooth

Mark is the original baked good lover. Remember when we were making all those desserts and I blogged about them? Yeah, and I didn't even include the carrot cake and the cookies that were also made that week. Well that was all when Mark was home. He didn't travel for 2 weeks, and has a high expectation of desserts, so that's why I gained 5 lbs in those 2 weeks. Since Mark started his job with Deloitte, he has had to find other sources to satisfy his sweet tooth since he's not home for dessert 4 nights a week. And I tend to be pretty tired and not into baking several times a week in a typical week, so Mark found a new friend in baked goods.

So the solution is.... Swirl Bakery. Kind of pricey, but he just doesn't eat on Thursdays, and then when he gets off the plane at DFW airport, he takes a taxi directly to the bakery and then home. And he expenses the whole bill, because he hasn't used any of his daily allotment for traveling meals. However, he's on a new case which has complicated matters. The client has dictated that No Consultant Shall Board a Flight Prior to 6 pm. And since he's flying from DC, that means the bakery is closed before he can get there. Yesterday he phoned the bakery and gave them the permission and credit card number so that I could come pick up the goods.

In the middle of making corn chowder, I loaded the children into the minivan and we trucked into Swirl Bakery. We waited our turn (Max & I did anyway- the others were dancing around and climbing on things) and when I got to the front of the line, I said, "My husband called..." That's it. That's all I said.
"Oh, YOU'RE his wife?" the girl behind the counter said, looking surprised.
"Do you know who I am talking about? Do you know which person my husband is?" -I was a little taken aback.
"Do I know who he is??? Of COURSE I know who he is! He comes every week, just as I'm trying to close. Sometimes we've locked the door and he makes me come unlock it and let him to buy stuff."

She explained their conversation and told me that there was a $35 limit. I tried pretty hard not to laugh as we made our selections and she gave us feedback like, "he really likes the Italian cream cake, but we don't have any today. Get this instead, he likes this..." She was astonished at how little we bought. I guess we disappointed her with the low sales, not even getting halfway to the budget limit. The children sure enjoyed picking out their own treats and bugging the poor elderly couple eating dinner in the cafe. Each child has inherited their parents' sugar addiction. In fact, they were very motivated to get their jobs done when we got home in anticipation of the dessert. Funny how little time it actually takes to clean the toyroom and bedrooms when a sweet reward is in store. Matthew didn't even need help picking up the trains, tools, or laundry!

7 comments:

Grant and Stacy said...

WOW! And I thought I had a sweet tooth! Way to go Mark! Gotta appreciate his persistence in getting what he wants!?!

The Yosts said...

Wow! Interesting fact about Mark. Now I need to get over to Swirl and try it.

Lauren said...

I love this story. It is always funny to meet someone who knows your spouse - I have gotten the 'you are his wife' a lot too!

xo

Kent said...

I liked how you say your kids inherited your sweet tooth. As if it's a rarity that kids like sweets.

Dawn Harvey said...

Oh Jo! Two words, Thera pea. But I guess if he changed, one of his fundamental personality traits would be gone and that would just not do. At least you know how to speak Mark's love language...have the Swirl goods awaiting him when he arrives home every week. Hilarious!

Lorana said...

I've been a silent fan of your witty writing for awhile. Your posts frequently make me laugh out loud, and then my kids demand an explanation of what's so funny.

Mel said...

Wow, you're a much better wife than I am! No way would I haul all four kids to a bakery mid-dinner making to get some sweets for Todd! In fact, IF he asked I'm certain I would laugh. Not only is that the worse time of day for ME, but my kids are going crazy about this time. Good for you for doing it and staying sane through it all!