Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My baby I mean my Barbie kept me up all night

Yesterday I had a terrible night. Felicity has a Hannah Montana Barbie that someone very generously gave her for her birthday. It could not have been bestowed on a more grateful recipient, and has been the source of some contention and many performances in our home.

For those not in the know, some Barbie dolls are equipped with a radio inside, because a baby doll's "Mama" was not good enough for the rocker girls of today. No, this doll can belt out Hannah Montana songs and the backup instruments to boot. It's surprising how loud they can be. There I was, minding my own business by sleeping in bed at the ungodly hour of 2 am, when I was jolted awake by,

If you could see the other side of me!
I'm just like anybody else
Can't you tell can't you tell
I hold the key
to both realities
blah blah blah

After the initial shock and wipe off of drool, I soon figured out that there was no burglar in the house playing in the toyroom and went back to sleep. But five or ten minutes later, she was singing again! Admittedly, I am a light sleeper, but this hummer was LOUD. So loud that I woke up again. I am embarrassed to acknowledge that my sleep-induced stupidity put up with this routine 3 or 4 times before I decided to Take Action. I charged into the toyroom with both fists going and turned on the light, looking for the culprit. Sure enough, she burst into song again. I couldn't figure out how to stop the noise so I went downstairs, opened the door, and chucked it outside. At this point, I was wide awake and Mark's gentle snoring was not going to lull me back to la la land, so I went back to the toyroom. It must have haunted by her presence because what little sleep I got was plagued with visions of Miley Cyrus.

But I got my revenge: today was trash day.

10 comments:

Cecily said...

I love trash day. What better ally for a mother when it comes to parenting . . .

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

That reminds me of a time when I was staying at the Glenhood over Christmas break so I was all alone. Tracie had given me a Simpsons watch which Bart said 'Cool your jets, man!" if you pushed a button. One night I woke up, already scared because I'd had a nightmare and I was alone, and the watch was going off. I was so terrified! I didn't like the watch anymore.

jaime said...

hahahaha. i love that you chucked it outside. being rudely awaken can make anyone do some pretty awesome things...

Kent said...

You really chucked it? Did Felicity freak out when she couldn't find it?

The Eberhardts said...

ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. i just love reading your blog, because you have the best entries! poor you, poor barbie, poor felicity. too funny!

Alexis said...

What an atrocious toy! Yikes! I'm afraid of the toys that we will generously bestowed upon my children in birthdays to come...

kurt said...

You chucking the doll outside reminds me of the Iron Giant when he's at the junkyard and the car horn is stuck and so he hurls the car as far as he can into the forest with a huge explosion at the end. I pictured the Hannah doll exploding when it landed, and it makes me feel better.

I've never been prouder to be your brother.

The Yosts said...

Good ol trash day! Mental note for me for the future- do not accept/buy Barbies with radios inside.

Mel said...

Great post, Jo. Thanks for the laugh! Hope you are all well.

Fairbank Family said...

I am laughing so hard I almost fell off my chair. I can just see you in action and see myself doing the exact same thing!