Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Eating my Texts

Shortly after I blogged about not having a cell phone, I got one. I knew I would, since I was about to depart for my little trip to visit Grandparents who don't really believe in unnecessary expenditures, such as long-distance phone calls. Please note: I knew they would be happy to let me use their phone, but since they themselves don't use it for such frivolous things like conversations to see if the baby took a decent nap or to request brownie recipes, it would be inconsiderate for me to take advantage of their generosity. Plus, I think it's optimal when traveling alone and at night to have a cell phone. Airport pickup alone makes it worth it.

The cell phone I got is a pre-paid, you pay ten cents per minute and 5 cents per text. Your minutes last for a certain number of days before they expire. The phone itself looks and operates like a toy- nothing too tough or fancy. It has very few features and is not attractive in any way, shape, or form. What is the point when I lose or break everything anyway?

But I'm finding that the best part about having a cell phone is something that I complained about earlier. This is it: since people are so glued to their phones and so responsive to texts, I have finally discovered a world wherein I can get an immediate response. Because Mark goes to many long (and probably boring) meetings, he can't be contacted for hours at a time on occasion, which drives me crazy when I need a simple question answered. However, everyone takes their blackberries into said meetings, and since it is culturally acceptable to be looking at/typing on one's blackberry at any given time, he can text!!! Finally, I have broken the barrier. You'll see this next on The Office or in Dilbert.

4 comments:

Maren said...

Since Ernie got a Blackberry, I added $5/month unlimited texts to my phone for exactly the same reason. I thought I'm not going to text that much. I survived before without texting. Turns out I text a lot. Over 100/month. $5 very well spent.

(as i typed this i got two texts from ernie.)

Susie said...

The other night I tried numerous times twenty minutes worth of times) to get my 14 year old to go up to bed. We were both on separate computers, sitting about 5 feet away from each other. I logged onto Facebook, made the same request via instant chat, & two minutes later she stood up, said "Love you, Mom!" and went upstairs to bed. Imagine that.

Flem said...

Steve still can't check the text I sent him a year ago asking if he can read it but one day he will discover that it is the best way to reach me.

Until then, little posts like this give me great hope.

Congrats on entering the 21st century!

Kent said...

Welcome to the 21st century!