Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Shave and a Haircut- 2 Bits

Raise your hand if a little line of music just went through your head. No? Nobody? Sheesh. Seems like I'm living in the wrong generation.

We just got back from a spring break trip to Kansas/Missouri (and yes, Oklahoma). We had a great time visiting our family there and the kids enjoyed almost every minute of it. (You know that people are lying when they say they love every minute of something!!!!! (I mean, would you look at those exclamation points? I ask you!))

As you might guess, that is Matthew with the fro on the teeter totter with Eli. Mark and I take turns cutting Matthew's hair. I like it curly, and Mark likes it short. Mark has been busy lately (when is he not?), so he hasn't taken the chance to cut it. He traveled to Denver for work but when he joined us again in Kansas, he took this curly head

while I was spending some hard-earned cash at Hobby Lobby and Target and buzzed it down to this one

(Matthew's the one on the right, with his cheeks puffed out to assist his sister in her early birthday celebration).

And what do you think? He hates it. Upon fetching him from preschool yesterday, the mom who was teaching noted in a stage whisper that she likes his haircut despite his very apparent views to the contrary. If anyone brings up the subject, a dark cloud comes over his face and he tells you his extremely negative opinion, which topic henceforth dampens his mood. Yesterday he said the saddest thing- "I don't like looking at myself because I don't like the way I look." Mark had zero sympathy, but it's understandable- Matthew is as fickle as they come. During church on Sunday I kept feeling his soft face and then his rough head. It's a fun sensation, I recommend it.

I hope he gets over it soon, but in any case, he's a very cute & contrary little boy. Even with a brush-fade on a boy with thick wavy hair.

9 comments:

Liesl said...

Either way, I think he's adorable. Love that picture of him with the long curly hair, by the way. I'd have to agree with you, though. I like his hair curly. So dang cute!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Don't feel my buzz!!!!"

Or in Matthew's case, more akin to a young David Bergeson, "DON'T LOOK AT ME!!!!!!" Tell him I still think he's goor-geous.

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

oh and ps, Liesl--I do too leave comments! I am just SO popular that otherwise I'd be leaving comments all day long if I commented to everyone.

Brian said...

Looks like Big Tex has a tattoo on his left elbow. Do I need to remind you about a talk Pres. Hinckley gave ca. 2000?

Much better buzzed than curly I say. Tell him he's always getting his hair cut that way, and he's going to like it.

Cheryl said...

It'll grow back. Faster than you can imagine.
We are in the midst of hair battles here. Caious's head looks like someone glued a bunch of straw to his skull. But he "likes it that way". Andrew has hair so thick it's puffy. I'll give it another week and then it's off to Sports Clips.

Lorana said...

I'm stuck in the wrong generation along with you.

Kent said...

I....NOT....BIG...TEX!!!!!

kurt said...

I preferred the curly hair.

H. said...

I go with Mark. I like short hair. But on a cute kid? How can you go wrong?